These days, people are constantly reminded to do the following to protect themselves from the COVID-19 virus: wash hands regularly, wear a face mask and face shield, especially when entering establishments like stores, restaurants and malls, and observe to social distancing. Additionally, the advice includes eating healthy and getting enough sleep to become strong enough to fight off the virus.
But one thing that should not be forgotten is to take our daily dose of Vitamin C. While there are many Vitamin C brands in the market, they may cause more harm than good because of their acidic nature. Excessive absorption of ascorbic acid may lead to gastric irritation, bloating and intestinal bleeding.
FERN C addresses this problem as it is probably the first non-acidic Vitamin C product in the market.
FERN C contains sodium ascorbate, a form of Vitamin C that is more readily absorbed (up to 95% according to the US National Institutes of Health) by the body. The better absorption of a nutrient is, the more effective it becomes. And since it comes in capsule form, FERN C eliminates the need to use starch binders that reduce absorption and efficacy of vitamins.
FERN C is also the best Vitamin C for people who are always on the go. If there’s no time to take breakfast at home, don’t forget to take FERN C before leaving. That’s because FERN C is the vitamin C that contains no acidic feel and everyone can be sure that their immune system will get a strong boost every day.
According to Healthline.com, there are seven scientifically proven benefits of taking a vitamin C supplement. Taking Vitamin C:
1. Boosts immunity. One of the main reasons people take Vitamin C supplements is to boost their immunity as Vitamin C is involved in many parts of the immune system. First, Vitamin C helps encourage the production of white blood cells known as lymphocytes and phagocytes, which help protect the body against infection. Second, Vitamin C helps these white blood cells function more effectively while protecting them from damage by potentially harmful molecules such as free radicals. Third, Vitamin C is an essential part of the skin’s defense system. It is actively transported to the skin, where it can act as an antioxidant and help strengthen the skin’s barriers.
2. May reduce your risk of chronic disease. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that can strengthen the body’s natural defenses. Antioxidants are molecules that boost the immune system. They do so by protecting cells from harmful molecules called free radicals. When free radicals accumulate, they can promote a state known as oxidative stress which has been linked to many chronic diseases.
3. May help manage high blood pressure. High blood pressure increases risks of having heart disease, the leading cause of death globally. Studies have shown that Vitamin C may help lower blood pressure in both those with and without high blood pressure.
4. May lower risk of heart disease. Many factors increase the risk of heart disease, including high blood pressure, high triglyceride or LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, and low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol. Vitamin C may help reduce these risks and this, in turn, may lessen risks of heart disease.
5. May reduce blood uric acid levels and help prevent gout attacks. Gout is a type of arthritis that is painful and involves inflammation of the joints, especially those of the big toes. Gout symptoms appear when there is too much uric acid, a waste product of the body, in the blood and at high levels, it may crystallize and deposit in the joints. Several studies have shown that Vitamin C may help reduce uric acid in the blood and as a result protect against gout attacks.
6. Helps prevent iron deficiency. Iron is an important nutrient with many functions in the body. It is essential for the production of red blood cells and transporting oxygen throughout the body. Vitamin C supplements can help improve the absorption of iron from the diet. Vitamin C assists in converting iron that is poorly absorbed, such as plant-based sources of iron, into a form that is easier to absorb.
7. Protects memory and thinking while ageing. Dementia is a broad term used to describe symptoms of poor thinking and memory. Studies suggest that oxidative stress and inflammation of the central nervous system can increase the risk of dementia. Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant and a number of studies indicate that a high Vitamin C intake from food or supplements has been shown to have a protective effect on thinking and memory while ageing.
FERN C, distributed by Stada Philippines, is available in Shopee and Lazada and in all leading drugstores nationwide.